maandag 28 oktober 2013

Dad and Mai secrets for making rocking tofu

I was raised eating tofu. So the taste was always familiar. But I have to say, if the tofu is not prepared well or seasoned, even I don't like it. One day, out of the blue, the secret was revealed. I was a teenager and my dad called me to the kitchen: "I'm gonna tell you the secret to making the best tofu. I've been working on it for years! Never tell anybody, otherwise they don't have a reason to come back to eat dinner at your place anymore."

I never listened to my dad, because for some years I've been telling a small group of people the trick of making great tofu. To get a nice soft on the inside, crispy on the outside basic tofu. From there on you can season the tofu in every way possible, spicy, salty. Stirfried, in soups, salads, the sky is the limit. Tofu is so versatile,  you can use it for almost anything!


For many years I've been making tofu the way my dad showed me. Making the basic tofu and spicing it up afterwards. Since a few months I found a recipe, one that works opposite of all the things my dad told me. But the end result is delicious!

My dad's secret to tofu success 
"Tofu is wet, so putting a wet substance in a marinade and frying it of, it's just not working. All the flavors will just slide of the tofu and in the end you have this blend tofu." This was my dads first explanation. "It's better to first fry it of and add the spices and flavors later. After frying the tofu is dryer and able to suck up flavor again!" And if you think about it, it's true. It's darn hard to let something suck up marinade if it's already full with water.

1 block of firm tofu
Paper towels
Sunflower or canola oil

Get the tofu out and dab it dry. Slice in 1/2-1 cm thick slices. Place them next to each other on a paper towel, now placing another paper towel over it and press down carefully. Get a non-stick frying pan and oil well. Now fry of the slices of tofu, turn around when it's browning. When golden brown on both sides, take it out. Get rid of the excess oil with paper towels. Let them cool down for a bit.

Mai secrets to spicing up dad's tofu
There are countless ways of flavoring your tofu. One of my favorites is inspired by spicy curry chicken skewers. A great vegetarian alternative and packed with flavor.

1/2 portion of dad's secret tofu
1/2 a chilli
1 glove of garlic
2 teaspoons of currypowder
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
Pepper and salt
Optional: Cilantro, spring onions.

Chop the chilli and garlic. In a frying pan, heat some oil on high heat. Cut the slices of tofu in 1/2-1 cm strips. When the pan is hot throw in the chilli and garlic, when it's sauteed add the strips of tofu. Give it a toss and add the currypowder. Toss until the curry is evenly spread, now add the soy sauce and a splash of water. Season to taste. When all the liquid is evaporated your tofu is done! Now you can dress it up with some cilantro or sliced spring onions. Doesn't only look pretty, taste great and gives it some crunchy freshness.


Another of my favorites you can also apply for tempeh. I always see tempeh as the Indonesian version of tofu, it's firmer and has whole soybeans. This flavoring gives it a nice sticky sweet chilli taste and goes well in stirfry's, but also in (glasnoodle) salads. In other words the flavor is as good as any other piece of meat will give the dish! 

1/2 portion of dad's secret tofu
1 shallot or other small onion
1 tablespoon of soysauce
1 tablespoon of ketjap manis
1-2 teaspoons of sambal
1-2 teaspoons of sugar

Chop the onion as fine as possible. Saute the onion in a hot oiled frying pan. Add the sauces, sambal, sugar and a splash of water. Wait till it's is bubbling away, now add the tofu and toss until the tofu is covered with the sauce. When all the liquid is sticking to the tofu it is done.

Mai secret to tofu success
I have to be honest, I stole this recipe. No, no great family secret story. And no, I didn't kill anybody for this recipe. My last trip to San Fransisco I spend my mornings next to my niece, watching Alton Browns 'Good Eats'. I was hooked, what a great program! So since then I've been watching the show here and there. When I have half an hour to relax or just want to watch a great but 'reasonable in time' TV cooking program.

 
But I never totally adopt a recipe, even the given and stolen ones. Because when Alton Brown shows us how to make this great tofu, he breads the tofu in eggs and flour. In my opinion breading is old fashioned or American. I remember the parents of my childhood friends breading every piece of meat that they will serve me. And I don't know why, but always when I'm in a American restaurant I get a breaded piece of meat. Or maybe I should go to some other restaurants except the Cheesecake factory (I mostly go there for the dessert, of course....)

1 block of firm tofu
Paper towels
Soysauce
Optional: ketjap manis
Sunflower or canola oil

Get the tofu out and dab it dry. Slice in 1 cm thick slices. Place them next to each other on a paper towel, now placing another paper towel over it and press down carefully. Place the tofu in a deep plate or tin. Now you can use only the soysauce or you can go 50 / 50 on the soy and ketjap. The ketjap will make it a bit sweeter. Poor over the sauce until it at least is half covered. Let is marinade for a minimum of 15-30 minutes. The longer it can marinade, the more flavor it gets. Now turn around and let it marinade for 15-30 minutes again. Get the tofu out, placing it next to each other on a paper towel, placing another paper towel over it and press down carefully. This is just to get the excess sauce of and to fry it more easily.


Get a non-stick frying pan and pour in 1 cm of oil. Now fry of the slices of tofu, turn around when it's browning. When golden brown on both sides, take it out. Place them on a cooling rack lined with some paper towels, to adsorb the excess oil. For the best result, let the tofu cool down. It will stiffen up a little bit and is easier to get clean cuts. I like to eat it cold, thinly sliced or diced in salads. Our warmed up in stirfry's or as an alternative for meatballs in soups.

Hopefully these recipes gave you the courage to go out in the big world of tofu and give it a go. And my dad was right about one thing, when you make great tofu, people will be asking and talking about it! Enjoy! 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten